Show & Tell Friday

Thursday, July 19, 2007
Since reading about Kelli's backyard frog. I thought I would tell about my indoor turtles. I have three baby turtles. Ok, they are no longer babies as the two larger ones...Button and Harry, are about 3 years old now, and the smallest one "Tipsy" is about 2 years old. When I first got the turtles it was scarey since they were about the size of quarters and they seemed very frail. There is never a guarantee that they will live seeing how they start off so tiny and lets face it, when your not an expert on turtle care, that right there can kill them off! So I googled what to feed them etc and they seem to be thriving. :-) When I first got them I would cut up worms and put them on a little dish for them to eat (along with fruits/veggies) I still cut up the fruits & veggies, but luckily I don't have to cut up any more worms! I still use a tiny plate to feed them on though, I personally think they like it rather than eating it all covered with dirt. I have to keep the two bigger ones away from the tiny one or they would eat its little legs off.... The turtles eyesight is not the greatest, and nothing makes their mouths water more than something wiggling, regardless if its another turtles legs! Here is a photo of Tipsy (the littlest one) and Button. I let them eat together only when I supervise. I think its important they get to know eachother over food lol. I placed a quarter next to the dish so you can see just how small they still are. The "plate" is a drink coaster~

Tipsy has the right idea...just climb right into the dish!

This is Harry. Harry is soaking for awhile while the girls are starting their dinner. Harry is a monster...he'll surely eat your legs off (if your a turtle) if your not careful! The turtles go poops in the water, so I like to let them soak in another container so their habitats don't get all stinky.
If you were to purchase a turtle from a pet store you will find that you can only get one that is 4 inches or larger. There is a law that states that you can't buy a turtle smaller as its a concern small children will place the turtles smaller than 4 inches in their mouths.... Most turtles carry salmonella and thats the reason behind the law. My baby turtles were a private adoption from a friend so thats how I got them. When I had my turtles for about a month...I just couldn't resist giving one of them a little kiss on the top of its shell. Well~ the very next morning I awoke with swollen lips. Botox? who needs botex??? I had thee most beautiful puffy pouty lips ever! I should sell that idea to some of those puffy-lipped wanna-be superstars! I'd make a fortune!!!

This Show & Tell Friday is hosted by: Kelli

0 comments:

Post a Comment