Transformation Thursday

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
I picked up this neat old soda box for $1 last summer at a yard sale. It has been kicking around my garage & backyard until I saw the cuteness of it once again. It had orange, lime green & brown felt glued in each box. Soooooo 1970's--- but for a buck, I couldn't pass it up. I'm pretty sure it held those gawd-awful owls in its hay-day~ I was going to stick skeins of yarn in it, or store paint cans in it..... Then I got a phone call from a gal I had met up at one of our local antique shows (I just happened to give her one of my business cards)... well, long story short, she invited me to share a table with her at an upcoming show in November. I've got time to get back to her while I ponder the idea.... just incase I decide to do it, I'm going to need staging items to contain all that neat small stuff.... So, I took this box and I painted the box with some watered down acrylic white paint... Then, I lined each small cubbie with old pages from a Sears robuck catalog. I used Mod podge to adhere each piece of paper, as well as one coat of Mod podge on top of each sheet as well. Once that was all dry, I went over each piece with clear varnish so that it wouldn't be sticky. When Mod podge dries it is tacky to the touch, sticky even!!-- and things will stick to it. Once the inside was finished...I tackled the outside. I painted a pink ovalish shape on each side then proceeded to paint a design on the box.GASP-- I am not a painter! but hey, that didn't stop me. I figured I'd give it a try and if it didn't turn out caute I'd paint over it. No biggy~ I drew a design on paper so that each side would match...I am soooooo matchy-matchy... I then used some dress makers transfer paper and copied the design onto the two larger sides and then made a smaller design for the two smaller sides. Then I just filled in the areas-- I picked out light colors so it wouldn't be sooooooooo noticeable if it looked really bad! Smart thinking huh? Then of course, I got nervous about the whole darn thing-- seeing how there are true talented painters out there that would laugh at my attempts at painting (pretty postive they would laugh!) sooooooooooo I went over the newly painted area with some sandpaper! Gosh darn it.... would you ever have guessed? I love it! You can view more transformations over at "Shabby Chic Cottage" and also over at "A Soft Place to Land" Kimba is hosting a "do it yourself" linky party. The Coloradolady is also hosting a Vintage Thingie Thursday. And last, but not least...Leigh over at "Tales From Bloggeritaville" is hosting a Thrifty Thursday linky party~

0 comments:

Post a Comment