Altered spoons

Sunday, February 20, 2011
About a year and a half ago, I bought a bag of silver spoons for a couple of dollars. I've had them in a glass jar way up high on a shelf in my studio....mocking me for quite some time now.... until now. My hubby had been using a dremel and never put it away, so I took it. Yep, its mine now. That'll teach 'em. I started by bending the spoons by hand, some snapped clean off-- ooops, who knew I was so strong? Below you can see the spoons in different stages of being bent. If your going to try this, bend the handles a little bit at a time and let the metal rest.... seriously. I find the older the spoon, the hotter the metal gets when you bend it... which causes it to weaken and snap off. You want to keep a little bit of the handle so you can bend that to the back and make a hanger to thread a chain through.I then used my dremel to cut the handles off of each spoon. Here are the spoon's bowls cut from the handles. Thats it, now they are ready to be altered into charms. I'm keeping the handles to make into something-- not to sure what just yet.
Here is just one of the spoon charms I made--- I also made the necklace display out of cardboard, spray adhesive and velvet~ Here is a close-up, I simply adore it. I am so keeping this one for myself! I was very lucky this weekend in scoring some more silver spoons at an estate sale. For .50¢ each I bought them all! Much to the chagrin of several women walking up behind me.
I'll share some more spoon charms when they are finished.

0 comments:

Post a Comment